See us on Facebook

California Western Railroad (CWR) Loco Roster

from the August 1965 Western Railroader - California Western’s “Super Skunk” Page from the August 1965 Western Railroader - California Western’s “Super Skunk”

The two pages right, are from the August 1965 Western Railroader “California Western’s Super Skunk” (a pdf version available adobe pdf here) steam train shows the locomotive roster whilst Union Lumber Company (ULC) owned the Skunk.

After The CWR was sold off #45, the current steam loco owned by the CWR, and #46, The “Super Skunk” were acquired. As you will see from the two pages right, most of the locos were made by Baldwin. The Fort Bragg Railroad was a predecessor company to the CWR.

Below are slideshows of the photographs of the above locos we have collected.

Fort Bragg Railroad

Fort Bragg Railroad #1 and #2

 

 

 

Click the photo right to see a slide
show of the Fort Bragg Railroad locos

California Western Railroad (CWR)

Fort Bragg Railroads #3 and #4 became CWR #3 and #4.

CWR #2

 

 

 

 

Click photo right, to see all 39 pictures of
the California Western Railroad (CWR) locos

Union Lumber Company (ULC)

ULC 1 was owned by Glenblair Lumber Company and was taken over by ULC when they ULC #1 working in the woods helping to build the linebought Glen Blair. She is named “Dinky” and has been restored and now sits in the Deli in downtown Fort Bragg.

 

 

 

 

Click photo right, to see all the pictures
of the Union Lumber Company (ULC) locos

CWR Locomotive #14

One of CWR’s locos still exists – just. CWR Number #14, shown below right when she was working, resides, awaiting restoration, at Roots of Motive Power in Willits.

CWR Number #14

Number 14 weighed in at a trim 54 tons. She was built for the California Fruit Exchange in 1924 and served as their #1. She operated in their Plumas County operations at Graeagle, California. The Fruit Exchange, headquartered in Sacremento, was formed by a group from the Sacremento and San Joaquin valleys involved in fruit farming and packing houses. They came to the Graeagle area in 1920 with the purchase of the Davies Box and Lumber Company.

Initially the Fruit Exchange moved logs to their Mill with a fleet of Mack trucks. Because of the truck technology of the day and the quality of the roads this proved unsatisfactory. Number 14 was ordered from Baldwin in 1924 CWR #14 awaiting restoration at Roots of Motive Power in WillitsCWR #14 awaiting restoration at Roots of
Motive Power in Willits
and the Fruit Exchange began the construction of roughly 20 miles of railroad. Number 14 hauled pine, cedar and fir logs to be made into fruit box shook and crates. A shook is “in timber working a set of parts ready for assembly, especially of a barrel”. Number 14 then hauled the packaged shook and crates to the Western Pacific Interchange at Blairsden.

Railroad logging operations were discontinued in 1938 and she was sold to the California Western Railroad (CWR). Number 14 would work in relative obscurity for the next 16 years in the Union Lumber Company’s Ten Mile Branch logging operations. CWR’s more powerful locos #21, #22, and #23 would bring the logs to the mill in Fort Bragg with #14 spotting the log cars in the woods and assembling them into consists.

CWR #14 in the engine barn at Roots of Motive Power in Willits
CWR #14 in the engine barn at Roots of
Motive Power in Willits

Number 14 did have one moment of fame when she chosen in 1938 to pull a much photographed excursion train on the Ten Mile Branch by the Pacific Chapter of the Railway and Locomotive Historic Society. With the closure of the Ten Mile logging by rail in 1948 she saw limited service with the CWR until 1956 when she was sold to Bert Rudolph. Bert and his wife Ferne stored her on the their Willits ranch for 35 years. They donated her to Roots of Motive Power in 1991 where she awaits restoration.

Fort Bragg Railroad #1 – note Gypsy Winch on the front Fort Bragg Railroad #1 with Gypsy Winch on the front Fort Bragg Railroad #2 CWR #2 in the woods CWR #3 in the woods CWR # 4 pulling a load of logs CWR #4 with a passenger consist CWR #5 pulling logs to the mill CWR #5 pulling out of the Fort Bragg depot CWR #5 on the inaugural run to Willits #5 pulling into the ULC mill #5 with a passenger consist leaving Fort Bragg Close up of #5 CWR #6 CWR #7 – the first loco to go over the hill CWR #7 after she had been renumbered as #17 CWR #8 with a passenger consist #8 with a 20 car log consist on the North Fork of Ten Mile River Close up of CWR #11 Another view of CWR #11 CWR #12 in the Fort Bragg yard CWR #14 near the Engine House CWR #14 with a passenger consist CWR #17 which was #7 until renumbered Another view of CWR #17 Close up of CWR #21 Rear view of #21 in the woods CWR #21 with a mixed consist CWR #22 with finished lumber consist en route to Willits Close up of #22 CWR #22 outside the Engine House Close up of #23 CWR #23 coming into Fort Bragg from the Ten Mile River Basin CWR #23 when she was brand new Close up of #36 Close up of #38 Close up of #41 CWR #41 - the second loco with this number Another view of the second #41 CWR #44 outside the Engine House Close up of #44 ULC #1 when she was new ULC #2 worked mainly on the ridges in the 10 mile basin ULC #2 after she was acquired from Glen Blair