See us on Facebook

The Ships

C.A. Drew:

She was a sailing schooner stranded and wrecked off of the Mendocino Coast in 1872.

C.A. Smith:

Built by Kruse and Banks at North Bend, Oregon in 1921. She displaced 1,878 tons. She was stranded off Coos Bay on December 16th, 1923.

California:

She was 98.5 feet long with a 28 foot beam and displaced 119 tons. A two masted schooner launched in 1869 she was wrecked off the Mendocino Coast in 1880.

California (the second of this name):

She was a two masted schooner commanded by Captain Peterson. The California displaced 114 tons. Launched in 1883 she was lost off of the Mendocino Coast in 1897.

Capistrano:

Built by John Lindstrom at Aberdeen, Washington in 1907. She displaced 648 tons. She was broken up and made into a barge in 1941.

Carlos:

Built by Stone and Van Bergen in San Francisco in 1908. She displaced 865 tons. She was broken up and made into a breakwater at San Pablo.

Carmel:

The Carmel was operated by J.H. Fritch of San Francisco who, in 1907 -08, had a fleet of three steamers: Carmel, Homer and the Sea Foam. His fleet of coasting steamers served ports like Mendocino, Albion and Point Arena. She displaced 633 tons and was built by John Linstrom at Aberdeen, Washington in 1906. She was broken up in 1931.

Caroline:

The Caroline was a two masted schooner captained by a man named Johnson. Displacing 80 tons she was wrecked off the Mendocino Coast in1863.

Caroline Medan:

The Caroline Medan was a 73 ton two masted schooner commanded by Captain Hansen. She was wrecked and lost off of the Mendocino Coast in 1887.

Carrie Heywood:

She was a two masted schooner lost off of the Mendocino Coast in 1875(?).

Cascade:

Built by Bendixsen at Fairhaven, califirnia in 1904. She sank in Hawaiian waters in 1906.

Casco:

Built by Kruse and Banks at Marshfield , Oregon in 1906. She was stranded and lost off St. Piedras Blancas in 1913.

Caspar:

The Caspar Lumber Company had three steam schooners named, “Caspar”.

The first schooner was a wooden steam schooner. She displaced 300 tons and had a 150 hp engine. This Caspar was 132.5' x 33.0' x 11.0'. She was built in 1888 by Hanson & Frazer, San Francisco for Caspar Lumber  Co.

The "Caspar" (first of that name) had its first trouble when it went ashore at Noyo in 1893. She was refloated in leaking condition and towed to San Francisco by the steamer, "Noyo" and repaired. It was only a few years later that she met her end. She left San Francisco on October 22, 1897 to go up the coast and after passing Point Reyes she was into a southeast gale.

While watching for the whistling buoy off Point Arena at midnight, the fog closed in. The noise of the storm being so great, the crew did not hear the buoy and struck on Sanders Reef at Point Arena. The boats were swung out but the steamer careened and they were washed away and lost. A big wave washed the crew overboard. There were fifteen men in the crew but only two survivors, Captain Anfindsen and Chris Larson, a sailor, who managed to make a raft of some wreckage. The two men were seen at daybreak and about noon two men at Iverson's Landing managed to launch a boat and rescue the two survivors.

The hull of the Caspar

The hull of the Caspar

Beached hull of the 300 ton steam schooner Caspar, wrecked on Saunders Reef, four miles south of Point Arena on October 22, 1897. Salvage workers can be seen standing by the bow.

The Caspar was a total wreck, the machinery having dropped through the deck. News of the wreck was telegraphed to W. H. White of the L. E. White Lumber Company, and he ordered the steamer, Alcazar, to travel to the wreck, fifteen miles to the south. The Alcazar recovered bodies, but no more survivors were found.

The second Caspar was a wooden steam schooner  displacing  648 tons, 175.1' x 38.3' x 12.4' with a 450 hp engine. She was built in 1907 by Lindstrom Shipbuilding Co. in Aberdeen, Washington . She was purchased  in 1911 from J.Homer Fritch as the "Capistrano and renamed the “Caspar”. The Caspar was sold in 1930 to the Alaska Salmon Co.

The third Caspar was ....

more information  close information

Celia:

Built by Mathew Turner at San Francisco in 1884. She displaced 173 tons. She was stranded off of Monterey, California in 1906.

Cecilo:

Built by St. Helens Shipbuilding Co. in 1913. She displaced 943 tons. She was laid up in Oakland creek, California.

Centralia:

She was built by John W. Dickie at Alameda, California in 1902. She displaced 487 tons. She was broken up and made into a barge.

C.G. White:

Built in San Francisco she displaced 169 tons.

The schooner Charles E. Falk at Redondo in a storm on May 1, 1904

The schooner Charles E. Falk at Redondo
in a storm on May 1, 1904.

Charles E. Falk:

A three masted schooner that operated along the Mendocino Coast.

Charles Nelson:

Built by Hay & Wright in 1898 at Alameda, California. She displaced 629 tons. She foundered in 1913 and was made into a barge.

C.H. Merithew:

The C. H. Merithew was a two masted schooner launched in 1875. Commanded by Captain C.H. Johnson she displaced 95 tons, was 84 feet long and 22.3 feet across the beam. She parted her lines and was lost off of the Mendocino Coast in 1887.

C.H. Wheeler:

built in Portland, Oregon in 1900. She displaced 371 tons.

Chehalis:

Built by Bendixsen at Fairhaven, California in 1901. She displaced 633 tons. She was abandoned in Oakland Creek, California.

Champion: 

She was a 42 ton two masted schooner commanded by Captain Larsen launched in 1867. She was stranded and lost off of the Mendocino Coast in 1887.

Charles And Edward:

The Charles and Edward was a 50 ton sailing schooner which was stranded off the Mendocino Coast in 1857. Her captain was named St.Claire.

Charles G. White:

169 ton steam schooner launched in 1884. She was lost in the same year when she was stranded off of the Mendocino Coast.

Charlotte:

She was a two masted schooner launched in 1861 owned by Iverson’ Lumber Company. Commanded by Captain Larson she was wrecked off of the Mendcino Coast in 1889.

Charlotte (the second of the same name):

Launched in 1880 she was wrecked in 1899 off of the Mendocino Coast. She was a two masted schooner and displaced 48 tons, was 67 feet long and 21 feet in the beam.

Chilcat:

Built at Astoria, Oregon she displaced 215 tons. She was stranded off of Humboldt on April 2nd, 1899.

Claremont:

Built in John Lindstrom in 1907 at Aberdeen, Washington. She displaced 747 tons. She was stranded off of Coos bay in 1915.

Claremont (second of that name):

She was built by Mathews Shipbuilding Co. in Hoquiam, Washington  in 1917. She displaced 1,291 tons.

Cleone:

She was built by Boole & Beaton at san Francisco in 1887. She displaced 197 tons.

Coaster:

Built by John Lindstrom at Aberdeen, Washington in 1905. She displaced 579 tons. She foundered off of the Columbia River on February 5th, 1925.

Cochief:

Cochief was a sailing schooner wrecked off of the Mendocino Coast in 1889.

Columbia:

Displacing  59 tons, launchd in 1865, a two masted schooner, she was owned by her captain who was named Barstow. She was wrecked off the Mendocino Coast in 1868.

Constantine:

The Constantine was sailing schooner wrecked off of the Mendocino Coast in 1862.

Coos Bay:

She foundered off of Ventura, California on December 18th, 1914.

The Coquille River

The Coquille (River)

Coquille (River):

The Coquille River was a wooden steam schooner built in 1896 at Prosper, Oregon by William Muller and C. Christensen. She weighed 415 tons and measured 141 long by 34 wide by 10 feet deep. With a 260 h.p. compound engine built by William Deacon Iron Works in San Francisco, she could carry 400,000 board feet of lumber. Owned first by Sudden & Christenson of San Francisco, the Coquille River was sold in 1905 to Swayne & Hoyt of San Francisco and in 1908 to National Steamship Company, owned by Union Lumber Company of Fort Bragg. In 1925, the ship was sold again to Russell J. Hubbard of Marshfield, Oregon and renamed the Winchester. She was eventually abandoned at Oakland Creek in Alameda in 1933.

The Coquille (River)

The Coquille (River)

The Coquille (River) loading at the Fort Bragg pier

The Coquille (River) loading at the Fort Bragg pier

The Coquille leaving Fort Bragg

The Coquille leaving Fort Bragg

Cora:

The Cora was a two masted schooner displacing  155 tons She wasbuilt in 1867 at Port Orchard, Washington. It is not known when she was acquired by J. G. Jackson of the Caspar Lumber Company.

The Caspar Lumber Company lost the Cora in 1883. The "Cora", while loaded with 1,200 posts and 25,000feet of lumber, was wrecked at Caspar on April 13, 1883 when her hawsers and mooring lines parted while a heavy sea was rolling into the harbor. The vessel struck on the south rocks and quickly broke up.

Cornell:

She was built by Hall Brothers at Winslow, Washington in 1905. She was stranded and lost off of Cypress Point, California on September 2nd, 1934.

Coronado:

Built by Pollard Lumber Co. at Aberdeen, Washington in 1900. She displaced 578 tons. She foundered off Point Arena on April 27, 1917.

Cosmopolis:

Built by Boole & Beaton at San Francisco in 1887. She displaced 339 tons. She sank Hawaiian waters.

C.P. Huestes:

The C. P. Huestes was a 57 ton sailing schooner captained by a man named Peltz. Launched in 1862 she capsized off the Mendocino Coast in 1868.

Crescent City:

A 701 ton steam schooner she was launched in 1882. She was 147.3 feet long and 21 feet in the beam. Commanded by Captain Pain she was stranded and lost off of fish Rock on the Mendocino Coast on January 30th,  1903.

Cuatemoc:

A gas screw schooner launched in 1916 displacing 79 tons she was stranded and lost off of the Mendocino Coast in 1924.

Cuffeys Cove:

Owned by John S. Kimball Cuffeys Cove was a two masted sailing schooner which was wrecked off of the Mendocino Coast in 1861.

Curacao:

A sailing brig she was stranded off the Mendocino Coast in 1862.

Curlew:

The Curlew was a sailing brig that was stranded off of the Mendocino Coast in 1875.

C.W. Gunnel:

She was a sailing schooner stranded off of the Mendocino Coast in 1862.

Top of Page