See us on Facebook

The Ships

Daisy:

She displaced 621 tons and was built at Fairhaven, California in 1908. She displaced 621 tons.

Daisy (second of this name):

Built by J.H. Price at Bandon Oregon in 1908. She displaced 679 tons. She foundwered in Humboldt Bay on September 18th, 1939.

Daisy Freeman:

Built by Bendixsen at Fiarhaven, California in 1908. She displaced 613 tons. She was broken in Oakland Creek, California.

Daisy Gadsby:

Built by Mathews Shipbuilding Co. in Hoquiam, Washington in 1911. She displaced 858 tons.

Daisy Gray:

Built by Mathews Shipbuilding Co. in Portland, Oregon in 1923. She displaced 1,187 tons.

Daisy Mathews:

Built by Mathews Shipbuilding Co. in Hoquiam, Washington in 1916. She displaced 943 tons. She foundered off Trinidad Head in 1940.

Daisy Mitchell:

Built by Bendixsen at Fairhaven, California in 1905. She displaced 612 tons.

Daisy Putnam:

Built by Mathews Shipbuilding Co. in Hoquiam, Washington in 1913. She displaced 886 tons. She was stranded and lost off Punta Gorda on November 22, 1920.

Davenport:

Built by Kruse & banks at North Bend, Oregon in 1912. She displaced 910 tons.

David And Nettie:

A 69 ton two masted schooner launched in 1875 she was wrecked off the Mendocino Coast in 1880.

David C. Meyer

: Built by  McEachern Shipbuilding Co. at Astoria, Oregon. She displaced 2,510 tons. She was stranded and lost off of San Pedro in 1926.

Davidson:

The Davidson was a sailing schooner wrecked off of the Mendocino Coast in 1903.

Delhi:

Built by Hall Brothers in Winslow, Washington in 1906. She displaced 968 tons. She was stranded and lost in Alaska on January 20th, 1915.

Del Monte (the third of the same name):

The Del Monte was a 50 ton schooner with an oil fired engine. Launched in 1939 she was stranded and lost off of the Mendcoino Coast in 1950.

Del Norte:

The Del Norte displaced 301 tons, was 158 feet long and 32 feet in the beam. Launched in 1890 I n Tiburon, California she was owned by Hobbs, Wall & Co. and commanded by Captain Hoffman. She was stranded and lost off of Point Arena on July27th, 1917.

Don Leandro:

The 86 ton two masted schooner, “Don Leandro” was lost between November 17th and 23rd 1885 in a terrible storm at Little River.

Dispatch:

Built by Bendixsen at Fairhaven, California in 1899. She displaced 698 tons. She was sunk off of Alaska.

Donna Maria Or The Donna May:

A wind powered brig she grounded off the Mendocino Coast in 1854.

Doris:

Built by John W. Dickie at Raymond, Washington in 1908. She displaed 725 tons. She was broken up in 1925.

Dorothy Wintermote:

A steam powered ship displacing  2,010  tons she was commanded by Captain O. J. Olsen. She foundered and was lost off of the Mendocino Coast in 1938.

Dunkerque:

The Dunkerque was a five masted schooner with two auxiliary engines owned by the French Government. She was 260 feet long and displaced 3,000 tons. The Dunkerque was lost off of the Mendocino Coast the year she was launched, 1918.

Egeria:

Built by Wilson Brothers in Astoria, Oregon in 1920. She displaced 2,360 tons.

The Electra

The Electra

The Alfred and the Electra riding out a storm in Mendocino Bay

The Alfred and the Electra riding out
a storm in Mendocino Bay

Electra:

 A two masted schooner known to have operated in the doghole ports of the Mendocino Coast. The Electra was built in 1877 at Little River, California, by shipbuilder, Thomas H. Peterson.

Elizabeth:

Built by Stone and Van Bergen in San Francisco in 1903. She displaced 363 tons. She sank in Mexican waters.

The Ella Florence wrecked on the beach at Mendocino, 1872

The Ella Florence wrecked on
the beach at Mendocino, 1872.

Ella Florence:

A two masted sailing schooner displacing 87 tons and owned by the Mendocino Lumber Company.  The Ella Florence parted her moorings and was stranded in March 1872 in Mendocino Bay.

 

 

 

Ellen Adelia Or Ellie Adelia:

A two masted schooner launched in 1864 the Ellen Adelia was lost on August 6th, 1884 - she sailed from Bowen’s Landing and then was wrecked off Point Reyes. She was 75.5 feet long and 24.5 feet in the beam and she displaced 54 tons.

Ellen Florence:

She was a two masted sailing schooner wrecked off of the Mendocino Coast in 1876.

Elia Adelia:

A two masted schooner launched in 1864 she was wrecked off of the Mendocino Coast in 1883. The Elia Adelia displaced 54 tons, was 75.5 feet long and 24.5 feet across the beam.

Elia Florence:

Owned by the Mendocino Lumber Company she was a 67 ton two masted schooner. She parted her moorings and was lost off of the Mendocino Coast in 1872.

Eliza Miller:

She was a two masted schooner wrecked off the Mendocino Coast in 1880.

Elizabeth Buckley:

 She was a sailing ship and was stranded off the Mendocino Coast in 1863.

Elsie Iverson:

Displacing 62 tons she was owned by Iverson’s Lumber Company. Her captain was named Jensen. A two masted schooner she was wrecked off of the Mendocino Coast in 1872.

Elsie Iverson (the second of this name):

Displacing 77 tons she was owned by Iverson and Johnson. She was launched in 1884. Her captain was named Beck. A two masted schooner she was wrecked off of the Mendocino Coast in 1886.

Elvenia:

The Elvenia displaced 148 tons and was98.0'x29.7'x8.2'. She was built in 1872 by H.D. Bendixsen, Fairhaven California for J.G. Jackson.

The Caspar Lumber Company nearly lost the Elvenia in 1875. The "Elvenia" was loading at Caspar on the afternoon of December 28, 1875, when heavy seas began rolling in. Both anchors were out, and early in the evening the crew left the vessel and were barely able to get ashore. The Elvenia began dragging and at 10:00 pm she was high on the beach near the mouth of the river. She was taken off the beach about January 12, 1876, with apparently little  damage as she was loaded she sailed shortly.

The Elvenia wasn't so lucky when she left Caspar Creek on April 24th, 1897 with a cargo of lumber for San Pedro. She was carried along by the land breeze at about six knots. When she passed the mouth of the river, Captain Johnson found himself in a dead calm, the breeze on the river had left him. The schooner was caught by the tide, the anchors were dropped but would not hold, so she was carried up on the rocks near the mouth of the creek. The vessel, dismasted and waterlogged, was pulled off the rocks and towed to San Francisco by the steamer "Protection" to save the cargo.

Emily:

built by Charles G. White in san Francisco in 1887. She displaced 285 tons.

Emily Franssen:

A 69 ton two masted schooner under the command of Captain Christiansen. She was stranded and lost off of the Mendocino Coast in 1879.

Emily Stevens:

A 98 ton two masted schooner owned by Beadle Steamship Co. launched in 1879. She capsized and was lost off the Mendocino Coast in 1881.

Empire:

She sank and was used as a gunboat.

Ernest H. Meyer:

built by St. Helens Shipbuilding Co. in St. Helens, Oregon in 1917. She displaced 1,057 tons.  She was broken up in 1939.

Escola: 

The Escola was wrecked in a storm off of the Mendocino Coast in 1926.

Esther Johnson:

Built by  Mathews Shipbuilding Co. in Portland, Oregon in 1917. She displaced 1,104 tons.

European:

disappeared after she departed Noyo on October 14, 1857 with 20 cords of firewood.

The Excelsior

The Excelsior

Excelsior:

The Excelsior was a wooden steam schooner displacing  526 tons with a 366 hp engine. She was built 1893 by P. Matthews at Eureka, California. Purchased either in 1915 or 1916 probably from Northwestern Steamship Co. The Excelsior was in a collision and sank  at San Francisco on February 7th, 1916.

The company owned the "Excelsior" the shortest period of  time, as shortly after she was purchased she was rammed by the well-known passenger steamer "Harvard'' at San Francisco on February 1, 1916, and was so badly disabled that she sank soon after near the Mile Rock in the Golden Gate.

Top of Page