About two miles south of where C.R. Johnson located his new mill there was a community and a mill located mostly on the flat of the Noyo River. In 1858 Henry Weatherby and Alexander MacPherson, the owners and builders of the Albion mill built a mill on the flat of the Noyo River.
In the winter of 1858 the mill site was flooded making an almost new start necessary in the spring of 1859. The machinery came in by sailing vessel and was landed onto a barge from the ship. The barge had to wait for a high tide to get the machinery to the mill site.
The mill built one of the earliest railroads to haul logs from Pudding Creek to the Noyo River. The railroad ran along what is now Harrison Street.
The Noyo river has been the setting for two well-known movies. "Johnnie Belinda" used the last old bridge across the Noyo and, after the bridge had gone, the Noyo was the setting for a scene from "The Russians are Coming".
In more recent times the Noyo fishing fleet moored adjacent to the site of the old mill.
Bridges over the Noyo River at Fort Bragg
Over the years there has been a ferry and a number bridges over the Noyo. The gallery left shows the original ferry and succession of bridges.
The Noyo by Beth Stebbins
This book contains a history of mouth of the Noyo River from 1852 to 1920. The subject matter covers the Pomo, sawmills on the Noyo, Business in the 1880’s, Transportation by land and sea and the fishing industry on the Noyo. Brief biographies are included of major figures involved in the Noyo.
Bear and Stebbins have kindly given permission for us to include this book in full. Click on the cover to read all 122 page of this e-book. A pdf version of the original book can be downloaded here