See us on Facebook

Wages Creek

Wages Creek slide show

Click on Photo to view the Slideshow

The creek was named for Alfred Wages who settled there in 1864. The place name changed to become just Wages Creek. A small sawmill operated from here and its output was hauled to Westport for shipping. There were a few buildings here but no town as such.

Thad M. Van Bueren devotes a section of his book, “Belonging to Places- The Evolution of Coastal Communities and Landscapes between Ten Mile River and Cottoneva Creek” to the railroad at Wages Creek:

“The last railroad completed in the local area was between Wages Creek Valley and Westport. It was completed in July 1916 by Hickey and other investors (Oakland tribune, July12th, 1916). A ceremony was enacted at the time the last spike was driven, mimicking the celebration surrounding the completion of the transcontinental railroad years earlier. The railroad was designed to facilitate the shipping of materials produced by the Westport Tie Company. It is uncertain how long the this railroad operated, but Westport fell into decline in the 1920’s, and the pier closed at the onset of the Depression of 1929. Use of this railroad was likely abandoned by that time.”