The La Paz was a sailing bark which displaced 1,038 tons. She was destroyed by a monster wave in 1855 off the Mendocino Coast. Her captain was named Chazelles.
Built by Boole & Beaton in San Francisco in 1885. She displaced 185 tons.
The Lakme was a wooden steam schooner displacing 529 tons, 176.8' x 38.8' x 12.6' with a 366 hp engine. She was built in 1888 by Thomas Peterson of Port Madison Washington. Purchased in 1916 from Charles Nelson, she was scrapped 1927.
Built by Mathewws Shipbuilding Co. in 1917 at Hoquiam, Washington . She displaced 717 tons.In her last years she was a fish-reduction ship. She was broken up at Sausalito in San Francisco Bay.
A sailing schooner she was wrecked in a collision off the Mendocino Coast in 1868.
Built by G.M. Standifer Corporation at Portland, Oregon in 1918. She displaced 1,811 tons. She foundered in Mexican waters on September 16th, 1941.
Lightening was a sailing schooner wrecked off of the Mendocino Coast in 1873.
Launched in 1869 and owned by J. Jensen of the Little River Mill Co. she was commanded by Captain Nelson. The Little River displaced 89 tons. She parted her lines and was lost off of the Mendocino Coast in 1885.
A two masted schooner launched in 1876 she was owned by B.H. Madison and commanded by Captain Hanson. The Lizzie Madison was 93 feet long, 29 feet in the beam and displaced 131 tons. She parted her moorings and was lost off of the Mendocino Coast in 1885.
An 80 ton two masted schooner launched, stranded and lost off of the Mendocino Coast in 1884. She displaced 80 tons, was owned by Mr. Merrill and commanded by Captain Lindridge.
The Lourakis was an oil fired steam schooner displacing 57 tons. She was launched in 1931 and was stranded off of the Mendocino Coast in 1951.
The Louells was built 1898 in Florenece Oregon. She displaced 412 tons.The Louella was lost in dense fog. The shooner Samoa tried to assist Luella who was on the rocks in Little River Bay. The fog lifted a little, disclosing the Luella, bow on, in the breakers about 300 yards off the beach. The seas were sweeping entirely over her and the inshore surf was already filled with wreckage from her riven deckload of lumber. After two unsuccessful tries, a breeches-buoy line was shot within reach of the stranded sailors on Samoa and they were pulled in over the surf to safety by the life-savers and several nearby ranchers
She was a sailing schooner wrecked off of the Mendocino Coast in 1875.
Built by the Wilmington Shipbuilding Co. in 1917. She displaced 1,482 tons. She was broken up in 1937.
The steam schooner Lue Weller was a two masted known to have operated in the doghole ports of the Mendocino Coast.
Lulu was a 98 ton two masted schooner commanded by Captain Hansen. She parted her lines in a storm and was lost off of the Mendocino Coast in 1885.
Built in San Francisco in 1908. She foundered of Point Sur in 1909.
Built by Simpson Lumber Co. 1900 at North Bend, Oregon. She displaced 438 tons. She was stranded and lost off of Crescent City October, 8th, 1918.
Built by E. Hueckendorff at Marshfield, Oregon in 1901. She displaced 409 tons.
Martha And Elizabeth:
She was a sailing schooner stranded and lost off of the Mendocino Coast in 1877.
Mary A. Hart:
A sailing schooner she was stranded and lost off of the Mendocino Coast in 1878.
was a clipper schooner owned and operated by M. E. Jasperson of San Francisco and wrecked in Noyo harbor on November 16, 1887. She displaced 91 tons.
Captain Jensen commanded the two masted schooner Mart Hart which foundered off the Mendocino Coast in 1878.
Built by Hammond Lumber Company in 1913. At Eureka, California. She displaced 844 tons. She was lost in a fire off cuba.
A two masted schooner she was commanded by Captain Schmalling. She was wrecked and lost off of the Mendocino Coast in 1882.
The Maxim was a two masted schooner owned by the Caspar Lumber Company. Like most of the ships owned by that Company had its share of bad luck. On April 20, 1878, she collided in San Francisco Bay off Meiggs Wharf with the schooner "Vine". Both vessels had only minor damage, with the "Maxim" only losing her nightingale.
During the disastrous storm of November 22, 1885, she was wrecked at Caspar and was pretty well broken up on one side and also required a new keel. She was repaired at Caspar and was soon loading lumber again. She was finally wrecked in January 1907 somewhere between San Francisco and Eureka. The records do not specify exactly where.
Built by John Lindstrom at Aberdeen, Washington in 1905. She displaced 670 tons. She was broken up in 1936 in Oakland Creek, San Francisco.
The Melville Dollar was a steel-hull, single deck steam schooner of 1,224 tons and measured 220 x 39 x 14 feet. Built in 1903 as the ”John C. Howard” in St. Clair, Michigan, the ship had a 1,100,000 board feet capacity. It ran on a 1,000 hp triple expansion 3 -cylinder engine.
The ship was purchased in 1907 by the M.S. Dollar Company of San Francisco and renamed the ”Melville Dollar.” It was sold in 1916 by the Dollar Line to Japanese owners and renamed ”Jingo Maru.” In 1925, the vessel was again renamed ”Shin Ping” by Shanghai owners.
A 93 ton schooner was wrecked on Humboldt Bay bar on January 2, 1888.
Mendocino (second of the same name):
Built by Hay Shipbuilding in San Francisco in 1888. She displaced 251 tons.
Built by St. Helens Shipbuilding Co. in St. Helens, Oregon in 1912. She displaced 969 tons. She was stranded off Punta Gorda on October 15th, 1913.
The Metis was a sailing schooner captained by a man named Haines. One of the worst storms on record occurred between November 17th and 23rd, 1865. Mrs. Silas Coombs of Little River wrote about the storm in the November 28th issue of the “Ukiah Herald.” She reported that at Noyo (Fort Bragg) the schooner R. J. Whiting disappeared in the storm.
Built at Shamokawa, Washington in 1888. She displaced 566 tons. She was stranded and lost off of Vancouver Island in 1893.
A four masted schooner known to have operated in the Mendocino Coast doghole ports.
Built by Andrew Petersen in Raymond, Washington in 1915. She displaced 1,230 tons. She foundered off of Antioch.
Built by St. Helens Shipbuilding Co. in St. Helens, Oregon in 1913. She displaced 969 tons. She foundered and broke up off St. Helens, Oregon.